Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum - the largest Ford Energy and Hybrid Forum Community!

In order to create topics or post replies, you must first please register, however, it's a simple process that takes only a minute.

Be apart of the Ford Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and upload photos. . .more

Guest Message by DevFuse

Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum

Photo
- - - - -

MPG Driving Tips & Tricks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   11STilimted

11STilimted

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S.A.
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

I would like to start a thread where owners can discuss ways to improve MPG's, as well as things that kill MPG's.  Whether it is city, highway, or combined driving, there are always ways to eek out extra MPG's.  I have had my car C-Max Hybrid for only 2 days.  I have never owned a hybrid before, so there was instant need for learning.

• First thing I learned, use the EV as much as possible.  Very light acceleration allow you to get up to speed using mostly EV mode.
  • Hills are your enemy when in EV mode, so some gas motor is to be expected in this case.
  • When using the gas motor, left off the throttle to allow the engines to go full EV.  Once in EV mode (again), you can apply small amounts of throttle to stay in EV.  Basically, you are manually manipulating which motor to use instead of letting the car decide.
  • Cold starts are another enemy.  When it is very cold, it is difficult to stay in EV mode.  This is particularly true when you have the climate control system running (at all).  After the car warms up, EV mode will slowly be used more often.

All productive input is appreciated.  With some help, this thread could really help owners in the long run.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   catsailor

catsailor

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationKensington Maryland
  • Current Vehicle:none

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

engage Eco Cruise when on the hwy and keep it under 62 mph and good things will happen :)

#3 OFFLINE   catsailor

catsailor

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationKensington Maryland
  • Current Vehicle:none

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Oh yeah I forgot Don't turn on the car heater UNTIL the gas engine has warmed up and this will get you in EV mode sooner and stay in it longer...running the heater on a cold car just drains down stored battery power which DELAYS getting into EV until the car engine warms up.

#4 OFFLINE   hillroli

hillroli

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPalm Harbor
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

I like to get up to speed as the traffic allows and then let the EV mode take over.  This does not drain the battery as much and you go further in the electric mode.

#5 OFFLINE   oldtee

oldtee

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

How do you find the engine temp?  I see it in the owners manual but can't get a display.

#6 OFFLINE   robertiv

robertiv

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

How do you find the engine temp?  I see it in the owners manual but can't get a display.

I found that in the "MyView" menu. It's in the L display. Go to the 4 main hybrid views (enlighten, empower, etc.) scroll up or down to "MyView" and then I think it was the right and left controls that allow you to choose between several specific displays that you can pick for your very own MyView. Engine coolant temp is one option. 

#7 OFFLINE   tommy

tommy

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBethesda Md
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Oh yeah I forgot Don't turn on the car heater UNTIL the gas engine has warmed up and this will get you in EV mode sooner and stay in it longer...running the heater on a cold car just drains down stored battery power which DELAYS getting into EV until the car engine warms up.

It's been my experience that the heater does't come on until the ICE is hot enough to produce warm air.  Perhaps it's just the fan that stays off?

• jackhd likes this

#8 OFFLINE   marshtex1

marshtex1

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE, Kenworth T2000 motorhome

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

RATE OF ACCELERATION. In suburban/urban situations getting from zero to 25 or 30 mph the longer the better as far as fuel economy goes. However, with my C-Max I notice it will kick into gas engine mode at the very first and a very slow acceleration will mean low fuel consumption but it will drag out the time longer before I can feather the gas pedal back to kick it into EV mode. What I find better is to step into it pretty hard for a second or two to get quickly to where I can feather it into EV mode. Then slow the acceleration so that it stays in EV mode. I think that this has improved the indicated average mpg for a trip in stop & go driving and of course, if there is any traffic behind me, they are happier too.

Edited by marshtex1, 03 July 2013 - 06:50 PM.

• bandtchr likes this

#9 OFFLINE   marshtex1

marshtex1

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE, Kenworth T2000 motorhome

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

GOING UPHILL.  Maintaining a set speed going uphill will consume more fuel than letting the speed drop back some.  ECO CRUISE does this for us, a bit.  In my driving I often take it out of cruise control on the uphills and let the speed drop back more, 5 or more mph.  This can be made up for by going faster on the downhills at very little extra demand on fuel.  In my story MAXIMUM REALIZABLE MPG in the Fuel Mileage section I described my efforts that included going over a mountain pass.  I let it drop down to even 45 mph going up.  The Garmin GPS  showed my maximum speed was 67 mph (downhill of course) in that effort that got to averages running from 50.6 to 51.2 mpg.  How about that?

#10 OFFLINE   bandtchr

bandtchr

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

These are all great tips...thanks everyone.  This is my first post and first day with our new C-Max.  As we are "in-training" with our C-Max, I have found that watching the My Ford Touch Screen using the Engine usage visuals very helpful.  We adjust our pressure on the accelerator to try to keep it in the EV mode as much as possible. 

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Murray

Paul Murray

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I still have a tank of gas left on my new 2013 max. Using other cars info driving techniques. Use the MPG indicator to level out your driving and keeping a heavy foot off the gas. When on a trip, use the AVERAGE MPG indicator and try for the highest MPG.

Even in my other cars, I try to stay at 65 mph even when the limit is higher on the interstate. Doing 55-60 is even better (if you can stand it). Before the gas price hit over $3 a gallon, I used to do 85.

#12 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Canada
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL with Nav

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Don't drive like my wife.  That's what I recommend.

Actually, I've had the car 4 days and I'm getting 50 mpg on my (admittedly mostly flat) 15 mile route to work.  Amazing.  I just try to accelerate without hitting that "hi revs" point in the middle of the throttle,  And braking as gently and as long as possible. 

I just wish I could replace the efficiency leaves with a trio of gauges---say engine temp, RPM and oil pressure. 

Love this car...

#13 OFFLINE   NY driving school

NY driving school

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • My Hybrid:None Yet
  • Current Vehicle:toyota

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Helpful information! I will use this as my guide. Thanks!

#14 OFFLINE   mightydog

mightydog

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Fiesta

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

very nice I am always trying to figure out ways to drive this better

#15 OFFLINE   CARiD

CARiD

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCranbury, NJ
  • My Hybrid:C-MAX Hybrid
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

Tires with a smaller profile width also improve the gas mileage and also provide a better grip on the snow in winter time.

#16 OFFLINE   Tucker

Tucker

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlordia
  • My Hybrid:None Yet
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

I use a couple of these was very helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic