Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum - the largest Ford Energy and Hybrid Forum Community!

In order to create topics or post replies, you must first please register, however, it's a simple process that takes only a minute.

Be apart of the Ford Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and upload photos. . .more

Guest Message by DevFuse

Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum

Photo
- - - - -

Where's my 47 MPG???

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   subter

subter

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S.A.
  • LocationMI
  • Current Vehicle:CMax

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

I'm almost empty on my first tank of gas. Averaging 45 mpg both Hwy and City. The highest I saw was 45.4 average. Not quite the 47 that I had planned on. I hope it improves with time. I'm driving the best I can to get the best MPG I can.

People have to realize that the higher the rated mpg, the larger the perceived difference in actual mpg.  45.4 is only 3% less than the 47 rated.  It's the same as saying, my car was rated at 25 mpg but I'm only getting 24.15 mpg, I'm very disappointed.  Same percentage difference.  Mileage on a vehicle is affected by so many things, not everyone keeps them in perspective.  Extreme hot or cold weather, speed, acceleration, elevation, accessory use, etc.  Elevation can be a big one that people don't think about.  I was getting a lot better mileage going to work than I was coming home. I found out I go from 1,000 feet at home to 600 feet at work over 27 miles.  I never would have guessed there was that much of an elevation change because it's not perceptible over that many miles because it's gradual.  I'm getting 45.5 lifetime at 4,200 miles including winter months in Michigan.  Now that the weather has warmed up I'm averaging 47 mpg or more on every tank with regular 55-56 mpg on my trip into work (again downhill and better morning temps).  I'm new to this forum but I've been on http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/ for a while.  There are numerous tips on there from users getting great mileage that I've used to improve mine.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   Andy Johnson

Andy Johnson

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Well, we're not getting 47 MPG either -- more like 50 MPG around town. At 70 MPH on the interstate, the mileage drops to 42 MPG.

We live in Atlanta, the C-Max obviously likes warmer weather.  Our lifetime average at 2,000 miles on the clock is 41.4 and steadily increasing. I am sure the car's fuel economy will dip when winter comes, but so far this car is friggin' amazing at 3,600 pounds to be this fuel-efficient.

#63 OFFLINE   ddurbin

ddurbin

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • My Hybrid:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hello. I'm a reporter with The Associated Press. We're doing a story today on Ford changing labels on the C-Max to advertise 43 mpg, not 47. Will also compensate owners. I would like to include a comment from an owner and what they think of the fuel economy they have been getting. If interested, please email ddurbin@ap.org. Thank you.

#64 OFFLINE   Marnie Stroud

Marnie Stroud

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have 18,000 miles on my c-max hybrid currently. I am averaging 40.2 gas mileage at the current moment. I do and even amount of highway and city driving. I am very disappointed with this.  It seems that I get the best mileage when it is spring and fall and the air conditioner and heater do not have to be used aggressively.

#65 OFFLINE   SamJ20112

SamJ20112

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Our C-Max now has 4K miles on it (3500 by us).  The average fuel economy began at 41mpg in late March and has increased gradually -- but steadily -- until my most recent fill-up yesterday: 45.6 mpg as computed by miles/gallons, not the car computer!  My overall mpg for the 3500 miles is 43.3 mpg.  I still have the older version of the (PCM?) software.   Nevertheless, I am so favorably impressed by the C-Max economy that I went out and bought a 2013 Fusion Hybrid.  Turns out it has the latest PCM(?) software; I was able to go into EV mode at 70mph!  Just filled it up after 386.5 miles: 8.94 gallons, for a computed (by me) fuel economy of 43.23 with just 400 miles on the odometer!!  Way to go, Ford!!!

#66 OFFLINE   4wheelsontheground

4wheelsontheground

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationwisconsin
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

We took a trip from Wisc to Missouri and back. Mostly freeway driving and about 2000 total miles. Avg about 44 driving 65-70 mph.

I drive 14 miles to work and typically get 55-70 mpg if you can believe the car.

Last 3 tank fulls averaged about 49. I don't drive slow, keep up with traffic but have learned to find the EV mode.

I am suprised at this based on what I had read b4 I bought the car.

#67 OFFLINE   Mr T

Mr T

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMount Dora, Fl
  • Current Vehicle:C-max

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Got our latest check from Ford yesterday in regards to the mileage correction. $475 this time......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·