Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum - the largest Ford Energy and Hybrid Forum Community!

In order to create topics or post replies, you must first please register, however, it's a simple process that takes only a minute.

Be apart of the Ford Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and upload photos. . .more

Guest Message by DevFuse

Welcome to the Ford Hybrid Forum

Photo
- - - - -

Where's my 47 MPG???

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mpgfreak

Mpgfreak

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S.A.
  • LocationNorthern ca
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

I am not getting my 47 mpg. I am one of those Annoying slow start, low speed drivers, in order to get max
mpg. Like others here, I am getting 40 to 44 mpg and not the EPA mileage
If all of you are experiencing the same, maybe Ford needs to hear this and offer us an explanation
Is anyone getting average 47 mpg, I would like to know
Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   bubb

bubb

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm not getting 47 either... As hard as I try, it isn't happening! I am very curious to know under what conditions Ford determined this vehicle could achieve 47 mpg in the city or on the highway.

#3 OFFLINE   Spazmatic

Spazmatic

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

The E.P.A. numbers are determined by government, not Ford.

#4 OFFLINE   thunderstruck

thunderstruck

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Sonata Hybrid

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

But, and this is a pet peeve of mine with my current HSH as well, the dealers could be a little more out front and tell prospective buyers people are reporting less than the mileage on the window sticker. When I bought my car, the salesman very carefully said "As you can see by the sticker the car is rated at 35/40." What he failed to mention is widespread complaints about the car not achieving near that much.
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   jeff-tx

jeff-tx

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi, I'm getting 43mpg on my C-max, but I have only 350 miles on it. I read in the manual, on page 196, that there is a break in period when you shouldn't calculate fuel economy, and that an accurate reading will be available between 2,000-3,000 miles.
  • Spazmatic likes this

#6 OFFLINE   pjones

pjones

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My Hybrid:C-MAX Hybrid
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

My first tank of 312miles of mainly Hwy driving with drafting was 46.9mpg. So far on my secound tank it looks like I will get 44mpg around town, we will see. I have a 2010 Escape hybrid and I average 40mpg around town with high of 43mpg. There is quiet a difference between the to Hybrid systems. The Escapes mileage did improve with time.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid, 2012 Passat TDI, 2010 Subaru Outback

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I am not getting my 47 mpg. I am one of those Annoying slow start, low speed drivers, in order to get max
mpg. Like others here, I am getting 40 to 44 mpg and not the EPA mileage
If all of you are experiencing the same, maybe Ford needs to hear this and offer us an explanation
Is anyone getting average 47 mpg, I would like to know
Thanks

Got 47.4 on the way home from work today. 15 mile urban stop and go driving. No special driving techniques, just go with the traffic flow with normal acceleration and braking. 200 miles total since my purchase on 10/20.

#8 OFFLINE   thunderstruck

thunderstruck

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Sonata Hybrid

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

That's a pretty small sample size. What's telling is how you do tank to tank, not work to home.
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

But, and this is a pet peeve of mine with my current HSH as well, the dealers could be a little more out front and tell prospective buyers people are reporting less than the mileage on the window sticker. When I bought my car, the salesman very carefully said "As you can see by the sticker the car is rated at 35/40." What he failed to mention is widespread complaints about the car not achieving near that much.

I tested a Sonata Hybrid prior to purchasing my Passat TDI. I could not get anywhere near the adverstised mileage (29mpg was my best) on my test loop of about 10 miles. During my 3 C-Max Hybrid tests I was able to hit 42-44 driving the same loop as the Sonata I had tested a year prior. The Ford and Hyundai dealers are 2 miles from each other.

I had enought confidence in the C-Max numbers to trade my Jetta TDI (35mpg avg on diesel) for the C-Max. So far I have not been disappointed at all.

Greencarreports got almost 40mpg at 75mph. The best my Jetta would see at that speed is 38mpg and diesels are highway cars.
http://www.greencarr...as-mileage-test

Edited by darrelld, 24 October 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   cwerdna

cwerdna

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:06 Prius

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

The E.P.A. numbers are determined by government, not Ford.

Not quite. One should also NOT intepret EPA ESTIMATES and the mileage YOU will get.

See http://www.caranddri...imates-feature.

Hint: The EPA test is done on a dyno (rollers), not a real road. The shortest test cycle that starts from a cold engine is 31.2 minutes long. The highest average speed of any test cycle is 48.4 mph. They don't measure actual fuel usage either, but rather derive it from tailpipe emissions.

These may also be insightful.
http://www.fuelecono...schedules.shtml
http://www.fuelecono...ow_tested.shtml
From the 1st URL

While the public mistakenly presumes that this federal agency is hard at work conducting complicated tests on every new model of truck, van, car, and SUV, in reality, just 18 of the EPA’s 17,000 employees work in the automobile-testing department in Ann Arbor, Michigan, examining 200 to 250 vehicles a year, or roughly 15 percent of new models. As to that other 85 percent, the EPA takes automakers at their word—without any testing—accepting submitted results as accurate.
Two-thirds of the new vehicles the EPA does test are selected randomly, and the remaining third are done for specific reasons. We’re not sure why a Porsche 911 GT3 was at the lab when we were there—other than to get an up-close look at its sexy, single-lug wheels—but candidates for scrutiny usually involve new technologies, new manufacturers, class fuel-economy champs, or cars that barely avoid a gas-guzzler tax.

During the Hyundai/Kia debacle, the press release at http://www.autoblog....l-compensate-o/ also mentions the 15%.

At its National Vehicle and Fuel Emission Laboratory (NVFEL) in Ann Arbor, Mich., EPA routinely tests vehicles – 150 to 200 a year, or about 15 percent of the possible vehicle configurations – to ensure that their performance matches the mileage and emissions data required to be submitted to EPA by automakers.

This auditing helps to ensure that vehicles on the road meet tailpipe emission standards to protect public health and the environment and that all carmakers follow the same procedures for calculating mileage estimates. EPA conducts both random and targeted audits, based on factors such as consumer complaints...

If the OP is doing short drives, esp. on cold weather, that'll hurt mileage. There are a TON of other factors.

On Priuschat, I got so tired of asking the same questions over and over and all the back/forth when people have FE complaints that I created a questionnaire (see below). In some cases, people would complain and fail to return to even answer the questions asked == wasted time.

It might be a good idea for someone here to create and own a similar questionnaire w/C-Max specific questions and the n/a ones ommitted.

http://priuschat.com...oure-new.77074/

Edited by cwerdna, 02 November 2012 - 08:14 PM.

• abjbrtd likes this

#11 OFFLINE   pjones

pjones

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

I just did my first full fillup with 484.1 mi and 11 gal =44mpg mostly city driving. It appears that the hybrid system aggresively charges the battery anytime the engine is running. This lowers gas mileage when the engine is running until battery is charged,I've only seen battery fully charged once. Gas mileage improves with the longer each trip is. I'm seeing the combination of battery and regen time of around 60%.
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

I'm averaging 41 mpg after 2000 miles of driving. I'm still happy because it has almost doubled the 21 mpg I was getting with my 4 cyclinder Ford Escape. Quite frankly I've never reached the EPA estimates on any vehicle I've owned and I wasn't expecting to with the C-Max. The EPA tests are done on dynos and not with real world driving so they're ridicously ideal conditions. Not to mention that in California our gas blend is unique in order to lower emissions (minimum of 10% ethanol required since 2010). This makes it cleaner burning but reduces the amount of available energy per gallon, which means less miles per gallon.

Edited by dtorres, 07 November 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   catsailor

catsailor

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationKensington Maryland
  • Current Vehicle:none

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Sorry late to this game and I posted above about my fuel milage. About 2600 miles to date and an average of City and Hwy and around 42-42.5 mpg, happy but dissapointed that I can't get more out of it. I am driving below 62 on the hwy and not accerlerating fast in the city. So Yeah I know all about those Dyno tests and all that the EPA does, rubbish.

It seems on cold start up my car wont go to EV mode untill it warms up, have u guys seen this too. Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   pjones

pjones

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I keep my c-max in the garage at night and have been able to go about a mile before the engine turns on. If you turn the heater on the engine will turn on right a way, the computer wants to warmup the engine as soon as possible and that hurts gas mileage on short trips. You will get better gas mileage in the summer. Closing off most of your grill with plastic sheet during the winter will increase gas mileage by around 1-2 mpg. I have gotten 46.9Hwy and 44city on my first two tankfulls.
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   RobT

RobT

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX HYBRID

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'm almost empty on my first tank of gas. Averaging 45 mpg both Hwy and City. The highest I saw was 45.4 average. Not quite the 47 that I had planned on. I hope it improves with time. I'm driving the best I can to get the best MPG I can.

#16 OFFLINE   pjones

pjones

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

My first tank the dealer fillup with premium gas and I got my best mpg. You might try this and see if it makes a difference.
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

My first tank the dealer fillup with premium gas and I got my best mpg. You might try this and see if it makes a difference.

How much difference did you see? I know the C-Max has a high compression engine in the 12.3:1 range.

http://media.ford.co..._CMAX_Specs.pdf

Edited by darrelld, 09 November 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   pjones

pjones

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

I believe about 2mpg.
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   Manco

Manco

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

It seems on cold start up my car wont go to EV mode untill it warms up, have u guys seen this too. Thanks

This is expected behavior according to the manual.

#20 OFFLINE   pjones

pjones

• Ford Hybrid Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

You can speed the warm up by blocking off part of the radiator opening during the cold months, this increases MPG. It made a 2MPG difference on my Escape Hybrid.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·